Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Sign I am Getting (More) Jaded

So I am watching the local Fox affiliate this morning, and they run this story about an Atlanta woman who just celebrated her 107th birthday. And I think to myself...you know, 10 years ago, I would have thought, "How cool!" But today, I didn't...and I got to wondering why.

Then it hit me. She may be 107 years old, but she was born in the same century as I was. Back in the late 20th century, it seemed....fascinating, I guess...to know that someone had lived in the century previous to yours (as my great grandmother, who was born in 1893 and died in 1979, did). But now, for some reason, it doesn't seem all that unique. After all, my late maternal grandparents were born in 1911 and 1917...

She has seen a lot of things in her 107 years, to be sure, bt she didn't see the turn of the prior century; maybe that's why it didn't seem so fascinating to me. Either way, I hope she lives to see the turn of another decade, at least.

No comments: