Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Writing is a bad mother (shut your mouth)

With apologies to Isaac Hayes for that title, writing really can be a pain in the ass. As many of my friends know, I was recently wed (about six weeks ago), and my bride and I find ourselves in the unenviable position of living in different area and ZIP codes (those of you who are thinking "She has no idea how good she's got it..."--shut your mouth). To make the time apart more palatable, and to keep me from driving her crazy, she has gently recommended that I start writing blog pieces again--at least one per week. Not that either of us (well, actually, me) think that what I write will interest anyone other than myself, but it may make for a good creative outlet.

So I am faced with the age-old dilemma: of what shall I write? Back in 2008, I wrote about politics, simply because it was easy fodder. But right now I am tired of all the sniping and bickering and just wish the hell Obama had called the pussy Dems onto the carpet when he had both houses and just ramrodded his programs through. He didn't, and now we are paying the price. So politics is too annoying to think about.

Sports. Hmmm...I used to follow sports a lot more closely than I do now. Now it, like politics, is pretty much all about the accumulation of wealth--greedy players fighting with greedier owners about money that those of us who should have more sense keep funneling into their coffers. Seat licenses...really?

Economics? Well, that is something I am no expert at, but that certainly doesn't stop a lot of the loudmouths who work out (even if it is only their jaws) at the gym that I do from pontificating on it--whether or not they have any idea of the difference between a consumption tax and a sales tax. ("It's a tax, goddamit it! It's evil!") And if I hear one more person who normally sings the praises of capitalism bitch about the rising cost of gas....I guess unrestrained capitalism is good only when it benefits you, eh?

Damn, I sound like a crotchety old man. But now that I have gotten a fair amount of bitching out of my system--for tonight, anyway--perhaps that will clear the air (or my system) and enable me to figure out (I had originally typed "ascertain" but for some reason changed it, then felt compelled to explain it...) about that which I shall write (no apologies to Churchill there).

If you read this, I am thankful. If you don't, you will be.

No comments: